Summary of Critical and Exploitable iOS Vulnerabilities in 2016
Summary of Critical and Exploitable iOS Vulnerabilities in 2016
Author：Min (Spark) Zheng, Cererdlong, Eakerqiu @ Team OverSky
iOS security is far more fragile than you believe. And there are lots of critical and exploitable iOS vulnerabilities in the wild. We summarized these critical iOS vulnerabilities which can be used for remote code execution or jailbreaking in this report. Hopefully, it can bring some help for your mobile security research.
0x01 iOS 10.1.1 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. Mach_portal exploit chain: The exploit chain was published by Ian Beer of Google Project Zero. The whole exploit chain consists of three vulnerabilities:
CVE-2016-7637: Broken kernel Mach port name uref handling on iOS/MacOS can lead to privileged port name replacement in other processes.
CVE-2016-7661: MacOS/iOS arbitrary port replacement in powerd.
CVE-2016-7644: XNU kernel UaF due to lack of locking in set_dp_control_port.
The attacker first uses CVE-2016-7637 to replace launchd's send right to “com.apple.iohideventsystem” with a send right to a port which belongs to the attacker. The attacker also holds the receive right of that port. Then the attacker uses CVE-2016-7661 to crash the “powerd” daemon which runs as root. Because of the daemon mechanism, the “powerd” will automatically restart but its startup process will look up the “com.apple.iohideventsystem” Mach service and send its own task port to that service. Because the attacker holds the receive right of that port which means the “powerd” actually sends its task port to the attacker. After that, the attacker uses “powerd”'s task port to get the host_priv port which is used to trigger the XNU kernel UaF bug (CVE-2016-7644). Because the kernel forgets to lock the set_dp_control_port when releasing a reference on a port, the attacker can get a send right to the kernel task port. After getting the kernel task port, the attacker can use mach_vm_read() and mach_vm_write() which provided by the XNU system to modify kernel memory.
In 2016.12.22, based on the Beer’s Mach_portal exploit chain, qwertyoruiop added KPP bypass, kernel patch, and Cydia installation on this project. Then he released iOS 10.0.*/10.1.* jailbreak for arm64 devices on yalu.qwertyoruiop.com.
0x02 iOS 9.3.4 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. PEGASUS/Trident exploit chain: The exploit chain was found from an apt issue for a human rights activist. There are three vulnerabilities in the Trident exploit:
CVE-2016-4657: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to arbitrary code execution.
CVE-2016-4655: An application may be able to disclose kernel memory.
CVE-2016-4656: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges.
For the XNU kernel, the vulnerability exists in the OSUnserializeBinary() method which is used to unserialize the data from the user land input. Because OSUnserializeBinary() doesn’t check the length of serialized OSNumber, the attacker can get leaked kernel stack information using io_registry_entry_get_property_bytes(). On the other hand, by using a crafted serialized OSString Object, the attacker can trigger UaF vulnerability in the kernel and then get the read and write ability of the kernel memory.
0x03 iOS 9.3.3 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. IOMobileFramebuffer Kernel Heap Overflow: This vulnerability exists in the IOMobileFramebuffer IOKit kernel service. Because IOMobileFramebuffer::swap_submit(IOMFBSwap *) doesn’t check the IOMFBSwap data from the user land, the attacker can use a crafted IOMFBSwap data to achieve a heap overflow in the kernel and then translate it into kernel read/write ability. This vulnerability can be triggered in the sandbox (do not need sandbox escapes) and it was used in the Pangu’s iOS 9.3.3 jailbreak.
0x04 iOS 9.3.2 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. WebKit heapPopMin Remote Code Execution: This vulnerability exists in the WebCore ::TimerBase::heapPopMin() and the attacker can use this vulnerability to achieve arability code execution in Safari through a crafted html webpage. Note that the Safari process is sandboxed. So, the attacker needs to do a sandbox escape if he wants to get more user data or attack the kernel.
2. GasGauge Race Condition: This vulnerability was disclosed by qwertyoruiop. Because GasGauge kernel service doesn’t lock the process when it frees the memory, the attacker can use multi-thread to do the race. If the race wins, the vulnerability will cause double free. In addition, the attack can translate it into UaF in any zone and achieve kernel read/write ability. Note that this kernel service cannot be reached in the sandbox. So the attacker needs a sandbox escape before using this vulnerability.
0x05 iOS 9.3.1 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. InpuTbag Heap Overflow: This vulnerability was disclosed by Team OverSky of Alibaba mobile security. The vulnerability exists in the postElementValues() method of IOHIDDevice kernel service. Because the postElementValues() method doesn’t check the size of input report, the attacker can use a crafted input report to overflow the kernel heap and then achieve kernel read/write ability. Note that this kernel service cannot be reached in the sandbox and it needs “com.apple.hid.manager.user-access-device” entitlement. So the attack needs a sandbox escape and an entitlement bypass before using this vulnerability.
0x06 iOS 9.1 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. CVE-2015-7037 Photos Sandbox Escape: The vulnerability exists in the com.apple.PersistentURLTranslator.Gatekeeper XPC service. By using a crafted XPC message, the attacker can achieve arbitrary file read/write ability of “mobile” user outside the sandbox. Combining with the vulnerability of dyld, the attacker can achieve arbitrary code execution outside the sandbox.
2. CVE-2015-7084 IORegistryIterator Race Condition: The vulnerability exists in the IOKit kernel service. Because the kernel does not lock the process when it frees the IORegistryIterator object, the attacker can use multi-thread to do the race. If the race wins, the vulnerability will cause a double free. Then the attacker can use the vulnerability to achieve kernel read/write ability and jailbreak the iOS devices.
0x07 iOS 9.0 Critical and Exploitable Vulnerabilities
1. CVE-2015-6974 IOHIDFamily UaF: The vulnerability exists in the IOHIDResource kernel service. The kernel service does not set the “device” pointer to NULL after releasing the device in the terminateDevice() method. The attacker can use this vulnerability to trigger UaF in the kernel and then translate into kernel read/write ability. This vulnerability was used in the Pangu’s iOS 9.0 jailbreak. Note that this kernel service cannot be reached in the sandbox. So the attacker needs a sandbox escape before using this vulnerability.
We can clearly observe that the number of critical and exploitable vulnerabilities in 2016 is very large. However, lots of iOS devices cannot upgrade to the latest iOS version. In addition, there are minor changes in recent iOS systems. So, more and more people lack interest in upgrading their devices.
According to one professional mobile statistics platform, only 3.28% devices are using the latest iOS 10.2 in December of 2016. It means 96.72% devices can be exploited by Mach_portal exploit chain at that time. Therefore, we kindly remind customers to upgrade their devices and be careful with the potential threats in the future.
Last but not least，you can find iOS jailbreak vulnerabilities and materials related to this article in our Github：https://github.com/zhengmin1989/GreatiOSJailbreakMaterial
- [转]iOS hacking resource collection
Link:http://www.securitylearn.net/tag/apple-ios-hacking-slides/ A collection of iOS research present ...
- iOS开发 适配iOS10
2016年9月7日,苹果发布iOS 10.2016年9月14日,全新的操作系统iOS 10将正式上线. 作为开发者,如何适配iOS10呢? 1.Notification(通知) 自从Notificat ...
适配iOS10 2016年9月7日,苹果发布iOS 10.2016年9月14日,全新的操作系统iOS 10将正式上线. 作为开发者,如何适配iOS10呢? 1.Notification(通知) 自从N ...
- Xamarin Studio在Mac环境下的配置和Xamarin.iOS常用控件的示例
看过好多帖子都是Win环境装XS,Mac只是个模拟器,讲解在Mac环境下如何配置Xamarin Studio很少,也是一点点找资料,东拼西凑才把Xamarin Studio装在Mac上跑起来,如下: ...
- iOS 如何适配iOS10
转自: http://www.cnblogs.com/jukaiit/p/5881062.html 2016年9月7日,苹果发布iOS 10.2016年9月14日,全新的操作系统iOS 10将正式上线 ...
- React Native微信分享 朋友圈分享 Android/iOS 通用
超详细React Native实现微信好友/朋友圈分享功能-Android/iOS双平台通用 2016/06/16 | React Native技术文章 | Sky丶清| 暂无评论 | 1 ...
背景 目前,开源社区和业界内已经存在一些 iOS 导航栏转场的解决方案,但对于历史包袱沉重的美团 App 而言,这些解决方案并不完美.有的方案不能满足复杂的页面跳转场景,有的方案迁移成本较大,为此我们 ...
- iOS - 如何适配iOS10（插曲）
升级了系统10.12beta xcode8 出现一大推问题 ,连上架APP都成了问题.只能先解决这些问题,再研究3D引擎了. 2016年9月7日,苹果发布iOS 10.2016年9月14日,全新的操 ...
- 如何快速简单上传类库到CocoaPods - 图文攻略步骤
当自己的库已经上传GitHub后,那么如何快速简单的开源自己的库呢? 这里就是介绍如何将自己的类库上传到pods管理库,以便开源所有人都能方便使用. 准备前提: - 项目已上传到GitHub (注意, ...
- Unity 最佳实践
转帖:http://www.glenstevens.ca/unity3d-best-practices/ 另外可以参考:http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/12/50-tips- ...
- ECMall /app/buyer_groupbuy.app.php SQL Injection Vul
catalog . 漏洞描述 . 漏洞触发条件 . 漏洞影响范围 . 漏洞代码分析 . 防御方法 . 攻防思考 1. 漏洞描述 Relevant Link: 2. 漏洞触发条件 0x1: POC ht ...
貌似因为IE的内核不支持重复,,所以要加个随机数..在代码中,,发现火狐的也不行..加了随机数后就可以了 <label class="img"><img id=& ...
- 随机 I/O &; 顺序 I/O
在谈这俩概念前.先来说说 大I/O vs. 小I/O 通常.我们把 <=16KB 的I/O认为是小I/O.而 >=32KB 的I/O认为是大I/O 了解I/O的大小.影响到 ...
- leetcode 题解：Search in Rotated Sorted Array II （旋转已排序数组查找2）
题目: Follow up for "Search in Rotated Sorted Array":What if duplicates are allowed? Would t ...
- exceptions.IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1.确保安装PIL所需的系统库 yum -y install zlib yum -y install zlib-devel yum -y install libjpeg yum -y install ...
<开篇> 本篇紧接着boost上篇叙述Boost::DateTime的时间处理.在C++中,常见的时间有time_t, FILETIME和tm,而boost中用ptime. 构造ptime ...
- hbase 概念
在hbase里面有几个通俗的名称会经常出现 1)Hregion = region 2)Hregionserver = regionserver 3)Hmaster = master 4)Hmamsto ...
- net core体系-web应用程序-4net core2.0大白话带你入门-4asp.net core配置项目访问地址
asp.net core配置访问地址 .net core web程序,默认使用kestrel作为web服务器. 配置Kestrel Urls有四种方式,我这里只介绍一种.其它方式可自行百度. 在Pr ...
animation-fill-mode: none:默认值.不设置对象动画之外的状态 forwards:结束后保持动画结束时的状态,但当animation-direction为0,则动画不执行,持续保 ...